Looking for a vibrant and flavorful side dish to elevate your dinner table? Look no further than these Roasted Curried Carrots.
The sweet and savory flavors of honey and curry pair nicely with roasted carrots. This dish is sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Links may be commissioned.
With just a few simple ingredients that you probably already have, and minimal effort, you can create a dish that is bursting with flavor. These Roasted Curried Carrots are a delightful combination of sweet and savory flavors that will leave you craving more.
30 Minute Sheet Pan Roasted Curried Carrots
- 2 lbs. fresh carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal. You can also use baby carrots and skip the cutting.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey, preferably local
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 10-12 fresh thyme sprigs
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Ensure the top oven rack is in the center position for even cooking. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a non stick baking mat to prevent sticking. Set it aside while you prepare the carrots.
- Wash, peel, and cut the carrots into diagonal slices. This not only adds visual appeal but helps with even cooking. Place the sliced carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Drizzle the olive oil and honey over the carrots in the mixing bowl. Sprinkle the curry powder over the dressed carrots. Strip the leaves from the fresh thyme sprigs and add them to the bowl. Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Using clean hands or a spoon, toss the carrots and seasoning mixture until they are well coated.
- Transfer the seasoned carrots to the prepared baking sheet, spreading them out into a single layer without overcrowding. This allows the carrots to roast evenly and develop a beautiful, caramelized exterior. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for 20-25 minutes, turning the carrots once halfway through cooking. Carrots should be crisp yet tender and nicely browned when ready.
- Once the carrots are roasted to perfection, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a serving bowl or platter.
Tips and Tricks
Choose Fresh Carrots
Opt for fresh, firm carrots for the best results. Look for carrots with vibrant orange color and smooth skin, indicating freshness.
Cutting the carrots into uniform slices ensures even cooking. Aim for slices that are about ¼ to ½ inch thick to achieve the ideal texture. Make sure you have a good knife set or consider using a mandolin slicer for quick slicing work.
Adjust Seasonings to Taste
Feel free to adjust the amount of honey, curry powder, salt, and pepper according to your personal preferences. If you prefer a sweeter taste, add a bit more honey. For a spicier kick, increase the amount of curry powder, or maybe even add a few red pepper flakes.
Don’t Overcrowd the Pan
It’s important to spread the carrots out in a single layer on the baking sheet, allowing them space to roast evenly. Overcrowding the pan can lead to steaming rather than roasting, resulting in softer and less caramelized carrots.
Keep an Eye on the Oven
While the suggested roasting time is 20-25 minutes, oven temperatures can vary. Keep an eye on the carrots as they roast, turning them halfway through cooking to ensure they brown evenly. Adjust the cooking time as needed to achieve your desired level of caramelization.
Roasted vegetables are best enjoyed fresh out of the oven while they’re still hot. Serve the Roasted Curried Carrots immediately alongside your main dish.
Your roasted curried carrots are ready to be served alongside your favorite entrees. Whether served as a side dish for a special dinner or as a flavorful addition to your weekday meals, they are sure to impress.